Friday, 26 May 2017

Building The Polygreen



Hello all!
The Polygreen is all finished! 

Also, not only is it finished, you may noticed it has been moved too! 
With the garden being so exposed, i decided it would be better for it to be side on to the wind, rather than head on, that way, hopefully, the wind will just go straight over the top. 

It's been quite a learning curve, figuring out how to keep it all together, stop it from flying away or collapsing!

A new sign for the garden gate.


The back wall being put up.


A bench for the plants to sit on

It's also just nice to sit in and just chill out with my morning coffee, as well as to grow plants in.


Last week saw me being given rather a lot of plants! A friend down the road gave me 6 tomato plants, and the bloke who gave me the blackcurrant bushes last year turned up with MORE tomato plants, so i now have 11 to try and keep alive haha. He also brought some pepper plants, courgette, rosemary, borage and sage.
I originally made two tiers of benches  but then a friend gave me two small benches which fit much better! 

I installed a guttering system using a metal pipe with a v shaped groove and added a funnel and half a washing machine pipe to the end. I've also added a hosepipe to the lower barrel, which is going to be the overflow so i can just dip my watering can in, rather than having to wait for it to fill up from the top barrel tap.

I also gotgiven some snapdragons and livingstone daisies, and the snapdragons are already blooming and look beautiful!




Saturday, 13 May 2017

The Polygreen



When life gives you an opportunity, grab it with both hands!
A wonderful friend is possibly giving up her allotment, and last year her poor greenhouse got blown to bits in a storm and she decided it wasn't worth trying to put it back together, so i asked if there was any parts that were salvageable, in the hopes i could at least save some of it to build one later on. I was gobsmacked when there was so many parts that were useable! 

The two sides were perfectly fine, she took the broken glass out for use in the stained glass course we are about to start, and she had a lot of black plastic that will work perfectly fine (I hope!) so that is being put to good use. 

When i first started collecting the useable parts, i was going to build it the traditional way and create a triangular roof, but it would have been too difficult to piece back together, so my friends husband had the idea of creating an arched roof instead, which was much easier! 


(Please ignore the fact that it looks like Steptoes' yard!)


The roof is almost up , i'm pretty much considering this part of The Polygreen as an experiment, i don't even know if it will work or stay put. The plastic i'm using is builders plastic leftover from when we had the damp proof course put in last year, to cover the furniture, and it is pretty thin,  knowing my luck it will tear away, but i'm ever the optimist, so fingers crossed! If it doesn't work out i'll just have to actually spend money and buy some better stuff.

The rug (that the cat ruined) is to keep the weeds down until i can get some concrete slabs. 



I have also started a gardening journal, so i can keep track of the little i'm growing this year and be able to refer back to it next year etc



I got a lovely parcel from Dawn at Being Self Sufficient In Wales consisting of Spearmint, Chocolate mint and Apple mint cuttings, i'm looking forward to having various fresh teas (and more!) with this lot :D




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...